Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Idlewild 2011

The year in the title indicates that I should have a previous year's post to link to ... but I still don't have that one up.  :(  Maybe one day ...

Anyways, about a life-time or so ago (last May, I think), Marina and Kris, Katherine and I took our children (four at that point, Corwin & Kyra, Emma, Vivian, both Katherine and I were pregnant) to Idlewild.  It's about 1.5 hrs from here, so it's really just a once-a-summer trip.  Last year was fun, so we wanted to do this again. 

This year, only Kris and Marina (and Kris' cousin Morgan) and Vivian and I (I took a day off work, Annelee went to daycare) made it.

First and most importantly, Vivian and I had a wonderful and fun day together.  I thoroughly enjoyed her company, and the bonus of not carrying a diaper-bag or pushing a stroller (sorry, Annelee ;) ).  It was fabulous.

Last year, we had gone to the story-book forest first, and by the time we were done it was time for me to head home so that Vivian would at least get somewhat of a nap.  So we didn't manage to go on any of the rides.  We fixed that this year.  We went straight for the rides and spent pretty much all our time on them.  We didn't get to go to the Soakzone, but I think that's high on the agenda for next year.

The first ride we went on was one of those "plunge you into the water rides".  The carriages were pulled up a steep incline and then plunged down toward the water.  I had absolutely no idea if Vivian was going to start crying hysterically, laugh manically, or something in between.  I know I was thinking "what am I doing on this ride?!?" when we were pulled up the incline...

The verdict?  Vivian LOVED it!

So much that she then dragged me on the "Octopus", and patiently waited in the long and slow moving line to ride it.  I tried to watch her very blissful and enchanted face during the ride, but my stomach did not appreciate it, so I quickly focused on things further away  ;)

We got a few more adult-supervision rides under our belt before heading to the kiddie-zone.  There, you can only ride if you are under 56 inches, so we put the kids on lots of rides and watched them having just as much fun on those little rides as they did on the big ones.

We finally left Marina & Kris and their crew to head home, but not before we had an ice cream and went on one last ride.  The entire walk back to the car I had to explain at every single attraction that you can't possibly do them all in one day and that we needed to save them for next year.  Vivian is so ready to go back already!

We will most definitely be back there next year with Annelee and Will.

You were supposed to balance balls on the airstream, but Rapunzel had to test her long hair, of course

Going down that first ride, just before we hit the water

It's hard to take a picture of a short and a tall person when strapped into a ride, especially when you are one of them ...

Kris and Corwin waiting for the ride to start

My favorite shot of the day ... she's having a ball!

Everyone minus the photographer (Vivian, Marina with Kyra, Morgan, Corwin, Kris)

Serious about his driving

Looks like she's steering wildly and loving it

This ride is known as the "baby cage".  We contemplated slipping them a 20 to keep the cage locked for an hour   ;)

Morgan and Corwin.  The stick is to help pushing, not to "encourage" the kid to do the work  ;)

I did one of those rides with Vivian and they are hard work!  THEN I found out there was one for children w/out adults.  Sigh!

The things parents do to get their kids to smile for the camera ...

A very special water fountain

Nap time!

I love how Corwin is all focused on driving and Vivian's just relaxing and enjoying the ride

The final stretch, both are now fully into it!

Riding the motor bikes

No comments:

Post a Comment