Saturday, September 11, 2010

Trip to the Zoo

My parents and I took Vivian and Annelee to the zoo one day. When we arrived, I asked Vivian what animals she wanted to see. Answer: "Monkeys, pigs, horses". I clarified that they did not have pigs or horses at this zoo, but that we would see the monkeys. After first seeing some other animals. Unfortunately, most animals were hiding, sleeping, or standing very far away from the viewing area that day. Not very exciting for a little girl. Vivian dutifully went up to every enclosure, took a look, and then said "I wanna see monkeys".

When we finally got to the Monkey house, we looked at the first ones (can't remember what they were) and I said "Look, a monkey!". At the same time a mother next to me told her son it was a "xxx" (actual name of species). Vivian looked at me and said "No, not a monkey, a xxx". Sigh. Monkeys were not what she expected, either, we think she was looking for chimpanzees, and there were none.

After the monkey house, she got focused on polar bears, so at every enclosure we heard "I wanna see polar bear". That girl is nothing if not persistent.

All in all, the zoo was a disappointment (for the adults more than for Vivian), although Vivian did like the elephants (especially the babies - Vivian claimed they were called Vivian and Annelee) and the polar bear and shark. We skipped the aquarium, but I'm thinking next time, we'll go just there, because that's actually pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment